March 14, 2013

Reclaiming Candle Jars!

I have recently perfected the art of cleaning out candle jars that have been used to their fullest potential. I have always thought that when I was done using a candle, and it will not burn anymore, that I just have to throw it away.  But, the jars are so pretty and are basically something you are paying for without thinking about it.  
Candles at Bath & Body Works (my favorite candles) are $20 (three-wick).  Now, I never pay that whopping $20, I always get them on sale.  But these candles have the most beautiful jars.  I am going to share with you a few steps to clean them out and reuse them for whatever you wish!

Before VS. After

First, start by putting the candle in the freezer for at least an hour.  I normally leave them in for a few hours.

Take it out of the freezer and you will probably see that it has cracked - and it is now ready to be cleaned out.  The freezer makes the wax contract and pull away from the sides.

 Next, use a butter knife to crack the wax apart and remove all solid pieces from the jar.  You can either save these for a candle warmer or just throw them away.

Remove the label from the side by simply peeling it off.

Head to the sink and use some warm water and dish soap to clean the jar as best you can - removing any soot, wax on the sides, dirt, etc.  Use a paper towel so that you do not gunk up your sponge.

Use the butter knife, or your fingernails, to remove the bottom label and most (if not all) of the adhesive on the bottom.

There may be some glue left inside the jar from where the wicks were glued in, or adhesive on the bottom.  To get rid of this, simply use some cooking spray.

Spray it in generously and wipe clean with a paper towel. Repeat this step if necessary. (You may have to scrub to get rid of the glue)  Then rinse clean again with dish soap and warm water.

Dry with a paper towel.

And voila!  Beautiful clean jars! :)

Much love,
Jen

3 comments:

  1. I was just looking at my candle jar thinking...how can I get this clean! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use peanut butter to remove labels. Just rub on the label, wait overnight, and Voila!! it's gone. Use leftover wax pieces to help start a fire in your fireplace, chiminea, or fire pit.

    ReplyDelete